About Me

My photo
Well, when I was a little girl I would spend hours flipping through the pages of a huge catalogue called "Quelle" that my father had brought from Germany. It had glossy pages full of beautiful pictures of lovely rooms, furniture and furnishing and was written in a language I could not decipher. But I think the pictures left an ever lasting impression on my mind and I grew up to be 'me' who drools not over food (or that too!) but good interior design, colors and photography. I also passionately love coffee, films, books, music, white gladioli, solitude, risotto, donuts, and my life (not exactly always in that order). I live in Bombay, India with my husband and little daughter and they both have changed my life in many beautiful ways.

Saturday 27 October 2012

HANG "EM OUT IN STYLE

Just when I was contemplating writing a post on one of my pet peeves - the unaesthetic way people hang their clothes in  apartment balconies or windows to dry, I came across this lovely photograph by Sherry Ott on her blogI started admiring how pretty the whites and the fabric with floral prints look against the green doors and foliage in the balcony of the old Italian house in the picture. The photograph made me rethink about the topic of my today's post. Is it all that bad to dry your laundry out in the open? But why does it disgust me so much when I see the same clothes hung in the balcony or window in Bombay apartments through out the year!
                                                source
It is the unaesthetic and muddled way they are hung, you see!

By the way, I am not trying to promote the use of a dryer (I believe in going green!) Or saying that you get your clothes dry cleaned all the time. All I am saying is the sight of chaddis and baniyans hung in your window for the world to see, is not very appealing but rather quite appalling, to me at least. Don't we have foldable drying racks available in every supermarket? 
                                                                               source
I still love the smell of clothes freshly dried out in the strong sun as I did as a child but over the years I also have learned that clothes are better dried in the shade if you don't want the colors to fade away too soon. 

                                                                                 source
Almost in every part of the world (except may be, America), people wash their dirty laundry in private but dry them out in the open, in the backyard or even outside their balcony and window.  And capturing the image of colorful clothes drying on the clothesline flapping in breeze must be one of the  favorite themes of photographers across the world. Let me share some I stumbled upon today.
                                                                                  source
                                                                           source

                                                                            source
Well, I don't mean or intend to offend anyone who dries clothes in the window or balcony of his/her apartment. It is your laundry after all. But at least hang them neatly and lovingly so that it doesn't become an eyesore for somebody.


2 comments:

  1. Actually I also do the same...
    After reading this post hopefully I'll mend my ways :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jitaditya : )) I like your honest confession.

    ReplyDelete