About Me

My photo
Well, when I was a little girl I would spend hours flipping through the pages of a huge catalogue called "Quelle" that my father had brought from Germany. It had glossy pages full of beautiful pictures of lovely rooms, furniture and furnishing and was written in a language I could not decipher. But I think the pictures left an ever lasting impression on my mind and I grew up to be 'me' who drools not over food (or that too!) but good interior design, colors and photography. I also passionately love coffee, films, books, music, white gladioli, solitude, risotto, donuts, and my life (not exactly always in that order). I live in Bombay, India with my husband and little daughter and they both have changed my life in many beautiful ways.

Thursday 19 July 2012

DREAM A KITCHEN



                                                                       goldchalk.blogspot.in

This kitchen can very well qualify as my dream kitchen. Apart from the rustic look of the concrete countertop, flooring and the touch of red here and there, the sheer size of the kitchen makes me desire it all the more.

After living in Mumbai for sometime, one forgets how good it feels to cook in a kitchen that is not cramped up and where there is always space for large cooking vessels, ceramics, chinas and small clay pots to grow your kitchen herbs in plenty of sunlight. A standard kitchen in a Mumbai apartment is usually narrow, longish and if you are lucky then with a large window (can't guarantee the sunlight though). The urban Indian kitchens have transformed and evolved into modular kitchens (mostly) which help you utilize your limited space in storing and organizing your pots and pans and other kitchen essentials efficiently but that is not enough. Indian cuisine also demands a lot of prep time, chopping, cutting, grinding, mixing, garnishing and so on for which you need large countertops, tables and a large sink. Alas! In Mumbai newer the apartment, smaller the kitchen gets. So spicing up your kitchen within the limitation of space constraint can be a real challenge but what is a dream kitchen without challenges!

                                                         interiorsoriginals.blogspot.in

A white kitchen, for example can make it look bigger than it actually is. And colorful accessories can brighten up the space.


 small-kitchen-guidesntips.blogspot.com 


myparadissi.com


Add greens (lots of it) to enliven small spaces. Grow herbs in interesting pots,

kettles, cups and put them on the window sill.









Hanging pots and pans is a smart idea for saving space.















Abundance of sunlight makes even old pans look beautiful







homegallerydesign.com


stagetecture.com


ecofootprintsa.blogspot.com

Good lighting in the kitchen (a must) can make even a small space look charming.

housetohome.co.uk

You may also check out homecanvas.blogspot.in one of my favorite desi blogs for the post titled 'Kitchy Kitchen'. An interesting post with lots of brilliant pictures showcasing a fabulous transformation of a typical Mumbai kitchen.


HAPPY COOKING.







No comments:

Post a Comment