About Me

My photo
Well, when I was a little girl I would spend hours flipping through the pages of a huge catalogue called "Quelle" that my father had brought from Germany. It had glossy pages full of beautiful pictures of lovely rooms, furniture and furnishing and was written in a language I could not decipher. But I think the pictures left an ever lasting impression on my mind and I grew up to be 'me' who drools not over food (or that too!) but good interior design, colors and photography. I also passionately love coffee, films, books, music, white gladioli, solitude, risotto, donuts, and my life (not exactly always in that order). I live in Bombay, India with my husband and little daughter and they both have changed my life in many beautiful ways.

Wednesday 12 September 2012

STYLE- WABI-SABI


"Wabi-sabi is a beauty of things imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete.
It is the beauty of things modest and humble.
It is the beauty of things unconventional."


What would you do with an old withered chair like this? The color has worn out, the iron is rusted and it makes a creaking sound every time you sit in it. But it also looks charming and you almost feel nostalgic when you look at it. So, if you had inherited a chair like this, would you find a place for it in your house and cherish the cracks and the creaking? A Wabibito (Wabi-sabi enthusiast) would most certainly do and with much love and appreciation in his heart because he believes that objects gain value through use and age.
So what is this Wabi-sabi all about? 



Wabi-sabi is an ancient Japanese art of appreciating the simple, modest and imperfect. It is not only a decor-style, it is a lifestyle that one chooses. And when that mindful and modest art of living  is reflected in one's decor style, it simply inspires minimalism. In an authentic Wabi-sabi home, you will see a color palette of browns, greys, earthy greens and rusty tones. And beautiful use of natural materials that are vulnerable to wear and tear. Wabi-sabi has its roots in Zen Buddhism and we all associate Zen with clutter-free place and mind. 


My attraction towards anything Zen has made me learn more and more about Wabi-sabi. And what I deduced is that in decor style when the ability to do with less is honored lovingly, it becomes a Wabi-sabi home. And such homes can be found anywhere in the world. 

Here are some pictures that I think can be called the Wabi-sabi style of decor.








Images via:1. Apartmenttherapy.com;2, 3 &6. enmiespaciovital.blogspot.com;4.& 5. wabisabi-style.blogspot.in; 7 &8. scandinavianretreat.blogspot.in



    


No comments:

Post a Comment