About Me

My photo
Well, when I was a little girl I would spend hours flipping through the pages of a huge catalogue called "Quelle" that my father had brought from Germany. It had glossy pages full of beautiful pictures of lovely rooms, furniture and furnishing and was written in a language I could not decipher. But I think the pictures left an ever lasting impression on my mind and I grew up to be 'me' who drools not over food (or that too!) but good interior design, colors and photography. I also passionately love coffee, films, books, music, white gladioli, solitude, risotto, donuts, and my life (not exactly always in that order). I live in Bombay, India with my husband and little daughter and they both have changed my life in many beautiful ways.

Sunday 19 August 2012

GREEN THE GAP-A COOL INITIATIVE

What do you think this bag is made from? Well, it is made from recycled rubber sheeting and waste cloth. This is just one cool sample of the fabulous works that Green the Gap is doing. These guys have taken the concept 'upcycle' to another level all together.  They use waste materials such as old tyre, waste cloth, waste leather, tetra packets and transform them into smart trendy and high quality bags, home accessories, clothing. You can check their whole range of products at http://greenthegap.com . Green the Gap was set up by a non profit organization Swechha  in Delhi, primarily to raise awareness of environmental issues and providing work opportunities to people with disadvantaged backgrounds. 


Photo of Green the Gap's Mumbai Store
The NGO provides decent working conditions and fair remuneration to its team of highly skilled tailors employed on a full-time basis who create the wonders.  Green the Gap not only makes colorful, fashionable and useful products but from what I saw on their website their price range is easy-on-your-pocket too.


Coasters made by using recycled rubber and waste tetra pack packaging 


If you are in Mumbai, you can visit their store in Bandra Pali Naka opposite the famous pub Toto's Garage. You can also find their products in some other stores in Mumbai like Bliss and Tribal Route. Their website tells me that their products are available at Sarwaa (Kerala), People Tree (Delhi), D Cube (Hyderabad), Levitate India (Bangalore), Etrican (Singapore) and Kaaya Kreations (Canada). 




Laptop bag made from tube rubber and jute  
I really like their innovative ideas. I am sure you will like them too.


Image credits: greenthegap.com


1 comment:

  1. This is fabulous, thanks for sharing....will visit soon :)

    ReplyDelete